There’s something awesome about eating pizza for breakfast. But unfortunately, we’d all be very unhealthy if we solely relied on last night’s cold dollar slices. That’s why breakfast pizza is great. But instead of making a traditional breakfast pizza with bacon, egg and cheese, I decided to make a much more exotic and healthier version that’s perfect for summer: Mediterranean breakfast pizza. AKA Mediterranean Breakfast Pizzaz. This breakfast recipe isn’t very quick to make, but it is pretty easy. So if you want to feel accomplished in the kitchen, impress someone who slept over, or just have a nice weekend morning with an Instagrammable meal, this dish is perfect for you.
How to make Mediterranean Breakfast Pizzaz
Total time: 30-40 minutes depending on your morning routine
1 bell pepper (color of your choice, green looks best on Instagram FYI)
hummus (homemade or store bought — I used red pepper hummus but this is up to you)
dash of salt
dash of pepper
dash of olive oil
1 pita bread
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Slice tomato.
3) Put tomato slices on a baking pan.
4) Brush tomatoes with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper.
5) Wait for the oven to finish heating (go brush your teeth, make a coffee, whatever).
6) Once it’s done heating, put the tomatoes in and set a timer for 15 minutes.
1) While the tomato slices are in the oven, slice the bell pepper to get a flower-shaped ring.
2) Cut out the middle of the pepper ring.
1) Set the pepper aside and put the pita bread in a toaster oven at 450 degrees. I set mine to “medium” setting, I didn’t use a timer, but it was around 7 minutes.
2) While the pita is in the toaster oven, find a frying pan and cover it in a layer of non-stick cooking spray or oil (butter, olive oil, Pam, etc.)
3) Put the pan onto the stove, set it to medium heat.
4) Place the bell pepper ring onto the pan and crack an egg inside of the bell pepper.
5) Wait for it to cook slowly, and adjust the temperature accordingly to make sure it does not burn.
6) The tomatoes should be done, so take them out of the oven when the timer goes off and let them cool.
7) The pita should also be done (if it finishes before the egg is ready, just let it sit in the toaster oven to stay warm).
8) When the egg is almost done cooking, take the pita out of the toaster oven and spread hummus on top.
9) Place roasted tomato slices on top of the hummus.
10) Once the egg is ready, remove the egg white edges around the bell pepper.
11) Use a spatula to scoop up the egg bell pepper ring and place it on top of your pizza. Sprinkle some pepper if you want.
12) Celebrate your accomplishment and maybe take a photo.
13) You will try to cut it.
14) Try not to get discouraged when you realize it’s very hard to cut.
15) Give up and just eat it like a regular pizza.